Preventing and Reporting ID Theft & Scams

The following is excerpted from the Book

Preventing ID Theft & Scams: How to Be Aware, Alert & Proactive

The book will be available June 1, 2021 at Amazon, independent bookstores and libraries

Maya Sullivan

Seminars ~ Presentations


Reporting ID Theft & Fraud — Actions to Take Immediately

1. Contact all banks, credit card issuers and companies with which you do business and notify
their fraud department.

  • Alerts: Sign up for balance and transaction alerts on all your accounts and monitor all activity.

  • Passwords & User Names: Change all online user names and passwords. Use a unique log on for each
    account. Create dual logons when available.

File a police report if your identity has been stolen, a con artist scammed you or when your
driver's license has been lost or stolen. In addition, contact the DMV about your driver's license.

File a report with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) – they will give you step-by-step
assistance on what to do.

4. Notify the three main credit bureaus that your identity was stolen or that you were scammed.

  • Credit Freezes and Fraud Alert: Place credit freezes and a seven-year fraud alert on your credit reports.
     (this is the only site authorized by the government). Normally you can run a free credit report once per year
     but because of the Covid-19 issue, you can run reports weekly through April 2021.

5.  Credit Monitoring Service: Report the incident to your credit monitoring service or sign up for one if you
haven’t already. Many banks and credit unions offer these for free.

Additional Actions to Take for Specific Types of Fraud

Criminal Identity Theft: File police reports with both your local police and also where the crime occurred.

Fraud via the Internet: Internet Crime Complaint Center(IC3)

International Scams: Report international scams online

Medical ID Theft:

  • Contact every provider where a thief used your medical identity such as doctors, pharmacies,
  laboratories, etc. Notify them of the issue and get copies of the records.

  • Notify your health insurance company about all the bills that are not yours or that you think were over billed.

Mail Fraud:

Money Gram: If you sent money via Money Gram file a complaint

Passport—Lost or Stolen:

  • U.S. State Department 1-877-487-2778 or TTY 1-888-874-7793

Social Security Fraud:

  • Telephone: call the Inspector General’s Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271 (TTY 1-866-501-2101)

  • US Mail: Social Security Fraud Hotline, PO Box 17785, Baltimore, Maryland 21235

Tax Identity Theft & Tax Payer Scam:

  • For phishing scams by phone, fax or mail, call 800-366-4484.

  • Report IRS impersonation scams to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration’s

Western Union: if you wired money through Western Union file a complaint:

Copyright 2020 by Maya Sullivan, LLC. All rights reserved.